Teitei Taveuni was formed in June 2009 and formally registered as an NGO in 2010. Membership is open to anyone farming in Taveuni.
Our main aim is to resolve the issue of unsustainable farming practices on Taveuni which have lead to:
- The highest rate of deforestation in Fiji.
- Undersized crops and loss of income for farmers.
- Serious soil degradation in areas where taro and kava are grown commercially.
We're dedicated to:
- Sustainable farming and soil regeneration.
- Food security and sustainable livelihood.
- Conservation and environmental awareness.
To implement sustainable practices is no small task and will take years of education, finding local affordable solutions, and perhaps most importantly facilitate a change of the current mindset.